Acsa is calling for public comments and proposals by 6 June, for the renaming of not only Cape Town’s airport, but East London Airport, Port Elizabeth International Airport and Kimberley Airport as well.
Four possible names have already been put forward: Nelson Mandela, Albertina Sisulu, Winnie Madikizela-Mandela and Robert Sobukwe.
You are invited to comment in the form below. Should you be at a loss for words, read the live input or documents. Feel free to copy and paste into the message area provided. Closing date is midnight 6 June 2018.
It is important to note this is not simply a petition but is the first step in an essential Participative Democracy process. And here’s the best bit; as each comment is immediately sent as a unique email to the designated government representative, comments must, by law, be individually acknowledged and considered by the Government. Had this been a petition, they would treat it as a single comment.
By using this service you ensure an accurate record is held by civil society (on our encrypted database) so government cannot fudge facts and figures. This process forms a solid foundation for a legal case should the necessity arise.
Add your comment now.
SHARE THIS TO ALL YOUR CONTACTS
POINTS TO NOTE
- An application will be made to the relevant Geographical Names Provincial Committee for processing by Acsa.
- These committees will verify that the applications comply with the guidelines in the national Handbook on Geographical Names.
- The provincial committees will then forward the applications to the SAGNC. The council will take a decision on the form or forms of names and recommend them for the Minister of Arts and Culture’s approval.
- Once the names have been approved by the minister, they will be published in the Government Gazette. A period of 30 days is required for any objections to be submitted in response to the Gazette.
- Should any objections be received, the minister will assess them before a final decision is published in the Gazette.
- The Department of Transport and Acsa will then implement the official names as soon as possible.